Museum on the Quay - Kingsbridge Then and Now
Kingsbridge Cookworthy Museum
20 - 25 September 2016
10 am - 5 pm Tuesday - Saturday, and 10 am - 4 pm on Sunday
The Kingsbridge Cookworthy Museum opened in 1972 and is situated in the 17th century Old Grammar School towards the top of Fore Street. It is run as a community museum for the benefit of Kingsbridge and the South Hams, and the collections concentrate on the social history of the town and the general area. As well as permanent and temporary exhibitions on site treasures from the museum are brought out into the community whenever possible, bringing collections to the attention of new audiences.
This is the fourth exhibition at Harbour House drawing from the Museum’s extensive collection of local archive images (now well over 15,000) paired with contemporary pictures to illustrate similarities and changes in the view. These ‘Then and Now’ displays have proved popular over the years, and the 2016 exhibition will honour local volunteer and photographer Tim Noyce who was instrumental in setting up previous exhibitions and who died in 2013. The exhibition will also include extracts from early cine film of the area, including some of Kingsbridge in 1935.
There is a current project to update the museum’s site records of properties in Fore Street, so part of the exhibition will be based on Kingsbridge shops and their development over the years. Another element will be a display of some seldom-seen artefacts related to Kingsbridge, giving visitors the chance to touch some local history as well as seeing it.